Monday, April 30, 2012

Woodchuck's Barrel Select Private Reserve


Woodchuck's Barrel Select Private Reserve (hence forth WCBSPR) wins the worst name award, luckily what's inside the bottle is better than its name. I do like the label and matching packaging, but it doesn't speak to the complexity of what is inside waiting for you.

Photo from Woodchuck website
Setting the mood:
This review is brought to you by the power outage last night at mine and Tidnab's house.  Originally, I had pulled this one out to enjoy while we played WoW (Sunday nights is raid night for those in the know).  Sometimes being a healer in a group of 25 people is not the most relaxing endeavor, so I thought WCBSPR might help.  Before we had time to start playing, the power suddenly went out.  About half our street was dark, and the power company took two hours to get us back up and running.  By then, we were on our way to bed and I had long finished my WCBSPR.
Photo from Woodchuck webiste

The company:
Woodchuck is a Vermont brewery focused on local sourcing and the environment.  The more I read, the more I liked them.  So, check out their webpage to find out more - but I'll give you the basics.  Water and power conservation are priorities for them.  They are working to use less water (1 gallons/1gallon of cider) and working with the local power company to reduce usage during peak times.  They also buy locally grown apples, print their labels on recycled paper, and use (25% of their total usage) power generated by cow um...patties.  Pretty cool in my book.  They also have a wide variety of products, many of them seasonal, for our enjoyment (well, mostly).  Woodchuck was one of the first ciders I tried years ago.  Their website walks you through how cider is made and links to their store where the metal sign pictured at right can be found along with glasses, t-shirts and how to make custom labels.

WCBSPR is a seasonal release for Woodchuck.  Bottled for release in December if you find any hanging out at your local store - buy it now.  They refer to it as their "ultra-limited" cider, and I can see why.  Its aged in white oak Kentucky bourbon barrels, which gives it a unique taste.  I've included their seasonal calendar at the bottom for those that are interested.

Where purchased:

Total Wine - I bought some singles but after trying it grabbed their last six-pack.


Reflections:
WCBSPR has a special place in my cider bytes' heart next to Crispin's Stagger Lee (see my review of it here).  Though I'm not a big fan of Jack Daniels or other Kentucky bourbons my love of Irish whiskey does give me an appreciation for their taste.  The first sip of WCBSPR is like a mellow sip of Kentucky whiskey.  The notes of smell are there - but not in the way where your nose feels like the alcohol will burn it.  It's light and rich and full-flavored.  I adore this cider it's fabulous straight from the bottle and still has a rich taste after it warms up.  I wouldn't call it refreshing or crisp, but I would call it mellow and jazzy.  Since it is made in Kentucky bourbon barrels, maybe I should say bluegrassy, but it can transport you and make your cider sipping feel like a luxury experience.  I have to say sipping it in the dark made the power outage tolerable.

Tidnab's sip:
He didn't get one this time, but last time I had to pry the bottle from his hand.

Scoring:
Sweetness: 8
Tartness: 6
Smoothness: 10
Fruit flavor: 7
Dryness:6
Carbonation: 8
Gluten free: Yes!
Alcohol content: 6.9%
Calories 250
Container & Size:12 oz. bottle
Price: six-pack about $12

Overall:10 - Wonderful - if you don't like bourbon/whiskey you might not be as impressed.

From Woodchuck's website



No comments:

Post a Comment