Thursday, March 8, 2012

Back in the Cider again...Stagger Lee

My sweet husband hurt his back in January, and the pain meds meant no alcohol.  I just couldn't pick up a bottle of cider to review while he was unable to enjoy a beer.  He is feeling better and able to enjoy his Innis & Gunn again, so I'm back to enjoying an occasional cider!

Where purchased:
Yesterday, we went to Total Wine outside of Port St. Lucie, FL with Gariath and picked up some supplies for our vacation.  I found some ciders I hadn't seen and a limited edition by Crispin that I just had to try first.   It was expensive - outrageous even - $4.49 for a regular bottle, but soon you will understand why I would pay this again to drink more.


Setting the mood:
After a fabulous day of spring training baseball and ocean waves, we relaxed with family and I had this interesting and complex cider.

The Company:
Crispin creates several premium and limited release ciders and are part of the Fox Barrel company. I have to say, I love both of their offerings.

The Cider:
The Stagger Lee is made in a complex process that includes blending 3 apple-wines aged in rye whisky barrels. The final blend is made with unfiltered fresh-pressed Gravenstein apple juice. I yet again did not do as instructed with the bottle - mostly because I just read the instruction while writing this! Perfect excuse to buy another bottle! You are asked to give a "solid bottoms-up tilt and swirl to disperse sediment evenly to best enjoy whiskey aromas and unique bouquet." I'll let you know if it gets any better when I do!

Reflections:
To put it simply, it was amazing. I was amazing after having it - 6.9% alcohol. The bottle says it has a "full bodied, subtly spicy rye whisky notes and taste, butterscotch and ripe apple with mild apple skin tannins. Sexy finish." I would agree with most of this. The 'subtly spicy rye whisky notes' got more and more prominent as the cider cooled and as I approached the bottom of the bottle. The apple taste is definitely there as well, and it is different from a regular cider - more applely for lack of a better description. I think this has to do with the addition of apple juice in the last blending, but who knows.

What I do know is this cider rocks and is well worth a try if you can find a bottle. If you don't like whiskey - pass on this one. The whiskey taste is prominent and delicious but only for those of us who like that sort of thing (Jameson's and ginger ale for me when there is no cider about). If you are a Jim Bean or Canadian Whiskey fan you will appreciate the subtle flavors in this cider. Even though I'm an Irish Whiskey lover, I still adored the under notes of the flavor.

Tidnab and Gariath's sips:
I had to steal my bottle back - need I say more? Both proclaimed it worthy of the price and that they would drink it.

Scoring:
Sweetness: 6
Tartness: 7
Smoothness: 9
Fruit Flavor: 8
Carbonation: 7
Alcohol content: 6.9%
Bottle Size: 12 fl. oz.
Calories: My bottle said 130, the website says 110
Gluten free: YES!
Price: $4.49/bottle

Overall: 10 - the whiskey taste was just delicious and I want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment