Saturday, April 28, 2012

Blackthorn - I should've known


I'm back in black - well, I should say I'm back drinking Blackthorn cider. This particular cider bytes experience made me realize a few things. First, I don't like dry ciders. Looking at my review template, I realize this shouldn't be shocking as I have no ratings for 'dry.' I'm going to fix that and add one, but I'm a sweet girl - and I like my ciders that way, so read my thoughts and adjust according to your taste! Secondly, I'm not fond of cider being delivered in a can and I will start to note the cider delivery mechanism (aka packaging) as well. Now, on with the review.

Where purchased:
Total wine - my favorite cider purchasing store. 


Setting the mood:
I got home after a long day filled with a workshop that really needed help to a great dinner followed by some WoW time with my husband and friends.  I grabbed a Yuengling for Tidnab and the Blackthron cider for myself.  Now, when I play WoW and enjoy a cider, I usually keep it in the bottle/can because I'll be sipping (unless things are going REALLY bad) and I don't want to have it over ice and have it melting before I'm done.  So, I'm drinking out of a can... blah!

The company:
Blackthron is made in the UK using mostly local products.  Here's what their website says about their apple sourcing - it made me a happy girl!
"We have long term relationships with 68 local growers from Somerset, Devon, Dorset and Herefordshire where all the finest cider apples come from.  We are also the biggest employer in Shepton Mallet and over 90% of our fruit comes from within 50 miles from here."


I really like the local sourcing utilizing so many growers.  They are obviously having an impact on their community and that can play a big factor when I'm choosing a cider.  I like my money to go to companies that care. They also support local sport clubs - another thumbs up for them! 


One thing I can't figure out is who is the company behind Blackthorn.  A brief look at the Wikipedia page about them says they are owned by Constellation Brands, who owns more than 200 spirit brands but Blackthorn is not listed on their website.  A look at the bottom of the Blackthron homepage points to Magners (the name for Irish Bulmers in any country but Ireland), so I wonder if they have been bought.  I'll just have to wait and see.


They have two ciders Blackthorn and Dry Blackthorn.  They describe the apples they use on their website as:
"We use a good number of ‘Bittersweet’ cider apples in our blend. Bittersweet cider apples have low acid levels and high tannins."


This helped explain to me why I'm not a fan of dry ciders anymore than I am of dry white wines - the tannins.  They add carbonated water to their mix along with sulfites.  If you are sensitive to them - skip this cider.  Now, on with my reflection and rating!

Reflections:
I was disappointed whey I popped the top on the cider - there was no sound to indicate any carbonation.  I'm not sure why I expected one, but I did, and I worried from the start my expectations wouldn't be met.  Also, I have discovered that I'm not a big fan of English ciders - my guess is because of the bittersweet apples.  If I want dry, I'll drink wine - which is actually what dry ciders remind me in the mouth feel and after taste.  The apple flavor was there but not over powering and the carbonation was very light.  I will say that as the evening progressed and the cider warmed up, I liked it better.  I might try it again in a bottle or over ice.

Tidnab's sip:
He had a beer and was playing in the other room - no sip for him!

Scoring:
Sweetness: 6
Tartness: 7
Smoothness: 7
Fruit flavor: 6
Dryness: 9
Carbonation: 6
Gluten free: Yes
Alcohol content: 6%
Container type & Size: 16.9 fl oz can
Price: I believe about $2.50

Overall: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment