Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Taste like chicken... I mean beer - Sir Perry

I came home from class tonight and sat down to play some World of Warcraft (my hunter still needs to get to end game - level 85) and drink one of my new cider finds - Sir Perry.  I'm happy to say that my WoW playing went well, because Sir Perry didn't enhance the experience - at all.  Matter-of-fact, I think my taste buds are still recovering.  On with the review - this should be a fun one.


Where purchased:
My favorite new cider finding place - Total Wine.  I found this cider while Tidnab and I were hunting him some Irish whiskey cask Innes and Gunn (his favorite beer).  I can't remember what I paid for it - but I'm sure it was too much!


Setting the mood:
I was in a great mood after a long day.  My hope was a refreshing cider to enhance my game playing experience.


The Company: 
Dry Blackthorn Cider distributes Sir Perry in the US and has a pretty no-frills website.  The most positive thing I can say is that it has a nice history section on the brewing of fruit ciders.  The website tells us that Sir Perry is "made in the traditional English style, using 100% fermented pear juice.  Not to be confused with American pear cider, which is made from fermented apple juice with pear flavoring added later."  I'm sure Fox Barrel cider would love to read this statement, because they do use 100% fermented pear juice and they don't use the additives that Sir Perry does (they add sulfites, so be careful if you are sensitive to them).


Reflections:
My first sip - yuck.  That pretty much sums it up.  It had a very beery taste.  Now, I'm sure there are people out there that would like this cider - but I want a cider because it doesn't taste like beer and as my friend, Gariath, says - bad beer at that.  The carbonation was over powering, the pear taste lacking and overall it was tart without the complex notes of fruit to enhance it.  If I never have it again, I will be a happy cider girl.  I actually poured over half the can down the drain... sad.


Tidnab's sip:
Cheap beer.  He'd drink it if he had to chose between it and PBR.  Nuff' said.


Scoring:
Sweetness: 4
Tartness: 9
Smoothness: 5
Fruit flavor: 3
Carbonation: 9
Gluten Free: Yes
Alcohol content: 6%
Can Size: 16.9 fl. oz.
Price: over $2, but my memory isn't working!


Overall: 3 

No comments:

Post a Comment