Friday, March 9, 2012

Getting my Irish on with Kelly's

Two reviews in two days and I have another new cider in the fridge for tonight!  Vacation is good... 


Where purchased:
Another find at Total Wine - I love this place.  So glad to have been taken there by my in-laws last year.  In Florida, they have tasting stations - not so much in Georgia.


Setting the mood:
Last night we were relaxing with our iPads and books and I decided that it was the perfect time for some relaxing with an adult beverage.  


The company:
Kelly's is made in Ireland and shipped over to the US in large containers to be bottled here in  the US.  The original target market was Irish immigrants to the US, as they drank cider in Ireland - particularly in the summer.  The founders of Kelly's include a former "Tipperary" beverage company employee - most likely Bulmers (Magners in the US).  The ingredients are what you expect to find in a Irish or UK cider but they stress that they do not use colorants in theirs (a good thing in my opinion).  There website says it is only available in four states - I'm hoping Georgia is one of them.


Reflections:
This is a pleasant cider.  It has a wonderful balance of sweet and tart with no bad after taste.  It goes down smooth with perhaps a bit too much carbonation for me.  I really enjoyed the taste and feel of it, and I would consider making this my day-to-day drinking cider.  I like the taste better than Blumers/Magners surprisingly.  It's not as sweet and I have a feeling that when they refer to not using colorants they are pointing the finger at Bulmers.  The 4.6% alcohol content means I can drink one without worrying about becoming "amazing" off one bottle.


Tidnab's sip:
To quote: a nice, sweet cider - it was good.


Scoring:
Sweetness: 7
Tartness: 7
Smoothness: 8
Fruit Flavor: 7
Carbonation: 6
Alcohol content: 4.6%
Gluten Free: yes
Bottle Size: 12 fl oz
Price: $1.99/bottle, but is sold in a six pack as well 


Overall:  I would definitely purchase this cider again as it was a good, classic cider with a nice balancing of sweetness, tartness and fruit flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment