Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Spire Mountain Pear Cider

For Christmas this year, my family - much to my delight and surprise - gave me a variety of ciders because of the my Cider Bytes blog!  Today, I'm going to review the first of several new finds - Spire Mountain Pear Draft Cider.

Where Purchased:
I have seen Spire Mountain Cider for sale at Total Wine, but I'm nut sure where my sister managed to find the bottle that I was given.


Setting the mood:
We dined at Thai Basil Sushi Zen, a delicious Thai/Sushi restaurant not too far from our house in Acworth.  The sushi and classic Thai curries and noodle dishes are great and they are very willing to accommodate our friend's gluten free requests!  Afterward, we went back to our sunroom to chat and sip some cider.

The Company:
Spire Mountain Cider is part of a larger brewing company - but still what I would classify as a artisan or craft brewery.  The Fish Brewing Company of Olympia, Washington is the parent company/brewer.  They produce three ciders (Pear, Apple, and Dark & Dry Apple Cider) along with several different beers.  The 'Fish Brewing' name doesn't whet my appetite at all, so I'm glad they went with Spire Mountain name for the cider.

Here's their description of the cider:
"Festive and light, Spire Mountain Pear Cider is alive with delicate flavor. A blend of Bartlett, Bosc and Anjou pears gives this hard cider a gentle zest. Complemented by a soft sprightly sparkle, the scent of sunny orchard beckons from every glass. Enjoy this genial refreshment at your ease"

I'm not sure I agree with all of the description, but I'm pleased to see a variety of pears included in the cider.  The ingredient list adds sugar and natural flavors to the list.  Also, the cider is listed as Hard Cider and not pear only - so there may be some apple cider included but not listed.  If so, it wasn't noticeable on my palette.

The label includes a date for when the pears were harvested.  You have to look very carefully to find the notch - but it is there.  Mine were harvested in March, delivering a young cider.

Reflections:
You know the beer or soda you reach for when you just want a good standby drink?  An old friend that won't surprise you nor overly delight you, but is there for you with a good, solid taste that you know you will like.  That's Spire Mountain Pear Cider to me.  It wasn't outstanding on any category, but was good on all.  Neither too sweet nor too dry, it was a nice cider to sip with friends while discussing the approaching new year.  I would definitely drink it again, and I believe it would pair well with almost any cuisine you need a middle-of-the-road beverage for.  

This cider's flavors did develop as the bottle cooled.  With many ciders, I think pouring them over ice is the way to enjoy them - especially if they are of the overly-fizzy variety.  This one is probably best left in the bottle or at most in a chilled glass as the delicate and subtle pear flavors would be easily lost.  Our conversation drifted here and there - I played with the puppy - picked up a bit - and came back to my bottle of cider several times - and it still tasted good.  I can be a slow drinker, so the fact that the bottom of the bottle was just as good or even better than the top is a major plus.  Unfortunately, the flavors were so delicate in terms of tasting the pear that it wasn't a cider that you would know from the start was pear.

Tidnab's sip:
Tidnab liked it and gave it a thumbs up as an everyday cider.

Scoring:
Sweetness: 6
Tartness: 7
Smoothness: 7
Fruit Flavor: 6
Carbonation: 8
Alcohol content: 5%
Bottle Size: 12 Fl Oz.
Calories: Not listed on the bottle or website - must be on the six-pack packaging

Overall: 7 - a good everyday cider with nice carbonation, middle sweetness and good flavor that is not overly pear or apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment