Saturday, November 5, 2011

Kopparberg Pear

Purchasing:
When I saw the Kopparberg Pear bottle in our local Total Wine store, I was very excited.  I had not seen it in the US and had good memories of drinking it in Ireland and Norway.  I grabbed two 500ml bottles, and tried not to think about the price.

Setting the mood:
I've had a hellish week, and yesterday (Friday) I figured I deserved something special for surviving - Kopparberg was my reward.  While my husband and I played WoW, I enjoyed this cider.

Reflections:
This Swedish cider comes in just the right size bottle for my light-weight drinking abilities.  One is enough to make me feel good and relaxed.  Pear ciders are my top choice, and Kopparberg Pear is probably my very favorites.  In Norway, where prices are extremely high for almost everything, I paid $9-12 a bottle at a bar or restaurant.  At Total Wine, I believe it was in the $3-4 range, so the price is high enough that I cringe when choosing a bottle for my six pack variety.

It's smooth and sweet - almost too sweet, which is hard since I like a very sweet cider.  The pear flavor is prominent and you know you're drinking a pear cider and not an apple cider.  If this cider fall short anywhere it is in tartness and carbonation.  If the tartness was turned up just a wee-bit, then I would call this the perfect pear and maybe perfect cider out there.  Overall, I think most people would enjoy trying Kopparberg Pear, but many would find it too sweet.  It's a great dessert or stand-alone drinking cider, but not a good one to enjoy with a meal.  The sweetness and lower carbonation just doesn't pair well with savory foods.

Tidnab's sip:
My husband, Tidnab, is a beer drinker, but he likes a good cider too.  I let him have a sip of this one - a sacrifice on my part - and I had to grab the bottle back.

Scoring:
Sweetness: 10
Tartness: 7
Smoothness: 10
Fruit flavor: 10
Carbonation: 8
Alcohol content: 4.5%
Bottle Size: 500ml
Price: High

Overall: 9 
I can't wait to have it again...

No comments:

Post a Comment