Monday, November 7, 2011

Blackberry Pear by Fox Barrel

Purchasing:
I don't often buy cider when we go out, but since we were at Taco Mac, I thought it would be in the spirit of their establishment.  There are several different 'flavors' of Fox Barrel available, but I had not tried this one.

Setting the mood:
A group of us helped a good friend clean out her garage and then take three truck loads over to Goodwill!  We adjourned to Taco Mac to enjoy each other's company - and for some of us, a refreshing adult beverage.

The company:
Fox Barrel is a California company that uses west coast pears in their creations that breaks their products into three categories:  Black Label, Cidery Reserves, and Limited Releases.  Their ciders are Pear based, not apple and this one is infused with blackberries. Their big selling point is that they don't use concentrate.

Reflections:
The first sip hit my mouth intensely.  This cider has a fair amount of carbonation and less sweetness than I usually like.  The carbonation and bite took over my pallet and I couldn't taste the pear or the blackberry very well.  I asked for a cold glass and some ice to pour it over - and viola! it tasted much better.

Once over the ice, I could taste the pear and the blackberry.  It also eased the carbonation.  I would suggest drinking it in a glass at the very least if you try this one.  Overall I like the flavoring of the blackberry and that I didn't get an 'apple' taste.  I'm still surprised about the difference of the cider from in the bottle to in the glass - and I will have to remember this the next time I try a Fox Barrel or any other cider that is too carbonated for me from the bottle.

Some people wonder about me pouring it over ice.  I picked that up in Ireland where they serve Bulmer's (better known as Magner's in the US) over ice.  At first I thought it was nuts, but when I saw the old timers doing it, I figured they must know something.  The ice mellows out the cider while keeping it at a good cold temperature.  For the most part (bananas not withstanding), I like my fruit cold, and so I like my cider the same.

Tidnab's sip:
Tidnab really liked this one straight from the bottle, as did Gariath.  Both wanted more, and I had to guard my bottle.  I think both of them enjoyed their first sip more than I did, but both are beer drinkers and may be more accustomed to 'from the bottle' sipping than I am.

Scoring:
Sweetness: 7
Tartness: 9
Smoothness: 7
Fruit flavor: 6 from the bottle, 9 in a glass
Carbonation: 10
Alcohol content: 5%
Bottle Size:
Price: Moderately High

Overall: 8
I may buy a bottle or two from Total Wine and try a 'first sip' from a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment