Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Apricot Pear by Fox Barrel

Where purchased:
I picked up a four pack of these at Total Wine.  The price was moderate, about what I would expect for a four pack of craft ciders.

From the Fox Barrel Website
The Company - Fox Barrel:
Earlier this month, I 
reviewed the Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear cider. The company stresses its use of only pear cider with no additional additives.  I also like the lack of preservatives as well.  And, of course, it is gluten free.  Here's a quote from their site about the differences with their cider: "Filtered cold for extra purity and infused with natural apricot juice. With no added malt, spirit, grape or apple alcohols colorants, sugar, sorbate or benzoate preservatives."

Setting the mood:

I wanted to enjoy this cider in several different circumstances before I reviewed it.  Fox Barrel's  Blackberry Pear while a delightful cider was a bit harsh unless over ice and I was not sure it would go with most meals.  This time, I wanted to try the Apricot Pear cider both with and without food.  I drank a bottle while gaming one night and consumed two on different nights during dinner.


Reflections:
I found this cider to be different in several ways from the Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear cider.  First, this one is great right from the bottle.  When I game, I prefer the ease of grabbing a cider from the fridge and going to play.  The carbonation is not overwhelming and the flavors are easily discernible without a glass and ice. 

Second, I found that this cider's flavor pairs better with food than the Blackberry.  The apricot was good with the spicy brats we had as well as pizza.  I could taste the apricot but it didn't over-power my pallet and actually added a nice dimension.  Many ciders are not good with food because of their sweetness - this one was just right and I would definitely stock it in the fridge again for a 'with dinner' adult beverage.

I look forward to more flavor-infusions from Fox Barrel as I prefer pear ciders to apple, and they do a great job making a pure-pear one.

Tidnab's sip: He enjoyed it. I'm probably going to have to hide my last bottle.

Scoring:
Sweetness: 7
Tartness: 8
Smoothness: 7
Fruit flavor: 9
Carbonation: 7
Alcohol content: 5.5%
Bottle Size: 12 Fl Oz
Price: Medium

Overall: 8
A great tasting pear cider for multiple situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment