Friday, January 22, 2016

McKenzie's Original On Tap

I went into my first beer growler store - Wise Owl Growlers - in Kennesaw and was pleasantly surprised to find a couple of ciders on tap. After trying their selections I bought a small grower of McKenzie's Original.


Growler & Game Night!
You can find out more about McKenzie's cider at their website. They've been in business since 2011 and are manufactured in upstate New York.

Where Purchased:
Wise Owl Growler's near Town Center in Kennesaw

A locally owned growler store that has a knowledgable staff and a wide selection of beer. They always have two ciders on tap and several others available in bottles. Check them out if you are local!

Setting the Mood:
Time for some RPG'ing as our group of regular suspects gathered together to play Pathfinder. After dinner break, I decided a cider was in order.

Reflections:
I love this cider. It was sweet but not too sweet with just a hint of tartness at the end. It is smooth with hardly any hint that it is alcoholic. Beware, you'll be guzzling this one down before you know it. 


Tidnab's Sip: Because I bought a growler he got more than a sip this time. To say he loved it would be an understatement. His glass was empty before he knew it.


Scoring:
Sweetness: 6/10

Refreshing is the word I would use to describe this cider. It's on the sweet side of neutral, just right for my taste.

Tartness: 4/10

I like a little bit of tartness in my ciders, so for me a 5 is perfect. If you like a tart cider versus a sweet one, you may not be as happy with McKenzie's as I am. For me, this is almost the perfect amount of tartness.

Smoothness: 10/10
 One of the smoothest ciders I have ever had. I could drink it like water, and that would be bad.

Fruit flavor: 7/10

Taste reminds me of honey crisp apples with a second note of granny smith for the tartness.

Dryness: 3/10

If you are looking for a dry cider, you will want to go elsewhere.

Carbonation: 6/10

Good carbonation but not so much you think you are drinking a soda instead of a cider. Since it was a growler, I'm not sure how much this effected the carbonation. We drank it within a few days of purchase. I need to find it in bottles to taste the difference ;)

Alcohol content: 6%


Container & Size: I got a small growler!

Overall: 10/10

The hubby and I loved this one. When we both went to the Wise Owl Growler together we decided to purchase a big growler this time of the same. McKenzie's has several other varieties and I'm anxious to try more.

Let me know if you've tried McKenzie's!

No comments:

Post a Comment